You can apply for Universal Credit. This is basic support for you (and / or partner and children living with you)
In order to start the application, you will need:
In addition to this you will be asked the following:
  • your telephone number
  • your postcode
  • your National Insurance number, (This is on the back on the BRP)
  • proof of your nationality
  • your housing details
  • details about people who live with you – such as your partner, children you are responsible for, or lodgers
  • Child Benefit reference numbers, if you receive Child Benefit
  • details about any earnings or other income you or your partner have
  • details of any savings, investments or other capital you or your partner have
  • details of any other benefits you receive
  • information about your health
Applications for benefit are made online via: The basic allowance rates are:

Your circumstances Monthly standard allowance
Single and under 25 £342.72
Single and 25 or over £409.89
In a couple and you’re both under 25 £488.59 (for you both)
In a couple and either of you are 25 or over £594.04 (for you both)

If you have children, the you can apply for additional support:
You can add your children onto you Universal Credit application. You can also make a separate application for child benefit:
This is only available for you:
If you are responsible for children under 16 years old or a young person up to the age of 20 who is in full-time education up to A level or equivalent, or on certain approved training courses
You can get Child Benefit, download this form from the HMRC website:
Note: After completing the form you expected to send original birth certificate or immigration status of the children.
You qualify for Healthy Start if you’re at least 10 weeks pregnant or have a child under four years old and you or your family receiving benefit or child tax credit. You can check online and download the application form from: